Celebrating Maya: Ten of Our Favorite Maya Angelou Quotes
Celebrating Maya: Ten of Our Favorite Maya Angelou Quotes (original blog post by Stylish Thoughts)
Today, renowed poet, author, dancer and activist Maya Angelou turns 84. As a life-long truth-sayer, Maya has been at the forefront of civil changes for women and African-Americans since the 1950s, working alongside the likes of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.
In her is a wealth of experiences and knowledge that she shares openly through her books, poetry and speeches. While most of us may never get to sit down with Maya and have a heart to heart, gleaning from her well, we can be students through her words and life.
Here are some of our favorite Maya Angelou quotes on life, love and the pursuit of happiness.
1. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
2. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.”
3. “I’ve learned that making a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life.”
4. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!”
5. “I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.”
6. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.”
7. “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
8. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.”
9. “A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.”
10. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style”
Happy Birthday sister Maya Angelou. Hope you enjoy your day surrounded by loving people and kind words. And thank you for being a living inspiration.